Promoting a Positive Culture
Juarez Academy utilizes Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS). PBIS is a research-based school-wide framework that defines expected behaviors and reinforces them through positive, proactive strategies. The idea is to help students become intrinsically motivated to make positive choices. Appropriate student behaviors are taught to students just like any other subject matter. Rather than focusing solely on what not to do, we emphasize our three school-wide behavior expectations: Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Responsible. We believe this gives each child more opportunity for success both socially and academically.
Tier I - Universal prevention for all students Evidence-based features of SW-PBIS:
- Define and teach positive social expectations
- Acknowledge positive behavior
- Arrange consistent consequences for problem behavior
- On-going collection and use of data for decision-making
- Continuum of intensive, individual interventions.
- Discouraging problem behaviors
- Active supervision
- Active engagement
- Instructional supports
Tier II - targeted intervention, some students:
- Reteach behaviors with more efficiently
- Reinforcing one specific behavior
- Student receives continuous monitoring
- Consistent with tier I behavior expectations
- Tracks progress of students using CICO
- Data driven- provides information on student progress toward goal
Tier III - More specific interventions designed for individual student behavior.